Lessons from Advent/CHRISTmas…Pt 3
“CHRISTmas is CHRIST”
First of all, you have to know by my ties that I’m a CHRISTmas freak…I love it all…Santa, Grinch, Charlie Brown, Scrooge, 34th Street, all of it! You know why…because I choose to take every part of it and allow it to point me to Christ! That’s why I share with you that CHRISTmas is CHRIST!
He is much more than a Baby in a Manger, but it began there and there would be no HOPE without that First CHRISTmas when He came in the flesh, in the form of a helpless human baby! So let’s look at all The CHRIST of CHRISTmas is…
He is much more than a Baby in a Manger, which would have meant nothing without that First CHRISTmas when He came in the flesh, in the form of a helpless human baby! So let’s look at all that Jesus, The CHRIST of CHRISTmas is…
1) Christ is the Eternal God, King of kings, Lord of lords, the Creator and Sustainer of all that exists!
As we look at Christ let’s begin with His Eternal existence as God, the Son (Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1-3; 8:58; Colossians 1:17; 1 John 1:1; Hebrews 7:3; 13:8 to name a few)! He is, always has been and, always will be the King of Heaven and earth, King of Kings and Lord of Lords (1 Timothy 6:15-16; Revelation 17:14; 19:16), the very Creator of the universe who holds all things together (Colossians 1:15-17). In order for us to understand all that He did in coming to earth we need to remember and know Who He has always been and what He gave up (Philippians 2:3-8).
2) Christ is Immanuel…God With Us! He gave up all the glories and lifestyle of heaven, even His Divine nature as God to become a man in the very form of a helpless human baby in a manger as Immanuel…God With Us (Isaiah 7:14; 9:2-7; Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 1 & 2; John 1:14). He was fully God and fully man and it is not only crucial in our salvation but in our faith that we are of His Spirit (1 John 4:1-4). The writer of Hebrews tells us that in becoming flesh and man, He became the perfect High Priest and perfect Lamb, the sacrifice for our sins and to bring us into a relationship with Himself as God, The Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Hebrews 5:1-10; 9:11-14; 10:11-18)! Had He never come in the flesh…as us…we would still have to offer imperfect and continual sacrifices! In coming to us as the Babe of CHRISTmas, Immanuel made the way for forgiveness of sins and for us to enter into both His Presence and a relationship with Him! Remember that without CHRISTmas there would be no Cross and no Easter Resurrection…no Hope! Praise The Lord…He came!
3) Christ lived as a boy and a man… He grew in wisdom and stature (Luke 2:52) yet disrespected as the son of a blue-collar tradesman (Matthew 13:54-56). He traveled as a homeless itinerant preacher and teacher (Matthew 8:19-20; Luke 9:57-58) and was rejected by the spiritual leaders and people of His day (Luke 11:14-15; John 10:31-38; Matthew 26:65-66; Mark 14:63-65). He experienced everything that we as human beings experienced with regard to pain, temptation and ridicule and yet was without sin (Hebrews 2:17-18; 4:14-15) and able to help us in all our struggles and temptations.
4) Christ became us so He could become sin for us, and suffer and die a humiliating criminal’s death on a Cross, which was actually meant for us (2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-8; Romans 5:8). He gave up heaven, was born as a human, lived in poverty and homeless, became sin and died so that I could be set free and become righteousness through Him (John 14:6; Roman 3:21-23; 5:17; 6:23; Galatians 5:1)! Without the Cross, His Incarnation would mean nothing and we would be lost. But Praise The Lord for His indescribable Gift coming to us at CHRISTmas!
5) Christ rose again as a Victor of sin, death and hell and by grace through faith has given me that same victory in Him (Hebrews 2:9-10; 14-15; Colossians 2:9-15; 1 Corinthians 15:53-56; Romans 6:4; 8:1-5). Christ has become all things in that He was, is and always will be fully God and came as fully man, existing as both fully God and man so He could overcome the flesh, sin, death and hell for the sake of all those who believe in Him (John 3:16)! Without Easter and the Resurrection, CHRISTmas and Good Friday would mean nothing. Our Hope is in Him and His Resurrection to give us new life! We are victorious in Christ!
6) Christ will return again as conquering King of all the nations (Revelation 12:10-11; 15:3-4; 17:14; 19:16) and claim all of His own who believe in and Him and walk by faith in obedience to Him (Matthew 19:28; 1 Corinthians 15:57; 2 Timothy 2:12; 1 John 5:4; )! Because He came, lived, died and rose again…because heaven was temporarily emptied of His presence and the Manger, Cross and Tomb are all empty, we who believe in Him will reign in His Kingdom with Him! The CHRIST of CHRISTmas was not just a Babe in a Manger. He is the Creator and Sustainer of the entire universe. He was Immanuel…God With Us, God in the flesh…God and Man. He suffered an excruciating death in humility and rejection…all for us. He rose from the dead as the First fruits of all those who would follow Him in resurrection life. And He will return again as the conquering King for all those who have chosen to make Him Savior and Lord! This is the Christ of CHRISTmas!
Let us worship this Babe in the manger for all that He is…Creator, Sustainer, Immanuel, The Suffering Servant, The Risen Son of God and Son of Man, the returning Conquering King and our Savior and Lord!
Do you know Him? Let me encourage you to listen to SM Lockridge’s “That’s My King” and remember that He’s The Babe in the Manger that we love and adore…and so much more! And thank God that He gave His Indescribable Gift (1 Corinthians 15:57; 2 Corinthians 9:15)!
I pray this new CHRISTmas song helps you enjoy all that CHRIST brings as we end this crazy 2020…”Behold Him” by Francesca Battestelli… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulGqyckf-oI
Make it a great Advent/CHRISTmas season with family and loved ones in Christ!
Love and Lordship…Food for Thought – Do you know The Babe Who became flesh to be your Savior? The Suffering Servant as your Lord? The One Who laid down His life for you as your Friend? The itinerary homeless teacher as your Master? The falsely accused criminal as your conquering King? Do you know Him?
Love and Lordship…Action Item(s) – Do you know Him?
1) Ask The Lord to show you what it meant for Him to leave all the Glory of Heaven to become human?
2) Ask Him to show you this CHRISTmas what it meant for Him to live and suffer as we do in our humanity?
3) Ask Him to show you what it meant to die in your place?
4) Ask Him what it is like to live with Him as Savior and Lord?
5) Ask Him what it will be like to reign with Him in Truth and Love?